“If we can teach people about wildlife, they will be touched. Share my wildlife with me. Because humans want to save things that they love.”
― Steve Irwin
- Fill your feeder all year round. Birds and other animals learn to depend on them for feeding their young in the spring and summer. Hummingbirds feeders should be left out until October.
- Bread is NOT healthy for any birds or mammals. It fills them with empty calories that has no nutritional value. This leaves animals vulnuerable to diseases and malnutritional defects. Give them dry cat food or bird seed.
- Window Collisions are a major killer of birds that fly into them, because they see the reflection of the yard. Put "clings" on the outside of the window to break up the reflection, or turn a light on inside the window, so that they can see through it.
- All Animals Need Water, so use a garbage can lid or plastic flower pot bottom in winter. Put hot water in it daily.
- Sandpaper On Perches or Bottoms of Pet Cages Are Extremely Dangerous, and can be deadly. It can cause injuries and infections to the bird's feet. Imagine walking or standing on stones all day.
- Double Sided Shepherd Hooks plant hangers can wedge the feet, legs, wings or even necks in the "V" between the hooks. Use electrical tape around the base of the "V" to prevent this injury. They can loose a leg or die.
- Our garbage is dangerous to wildlife. Plastic six-pack holders, fishing line, fish hooks, kite string, balloon string and the balloons, cans with the lid folded in, jars, some yogurt containers, netting, plastic bags, rat and mouse poisons (secondary poisoning of raptors or cats and dogs that eat them,) lawn sprays, oil and chemical spills...
Look for us on Facebook
Association for Wild Animal Rehabilitation and Education Inc.
Please call us at:
or contact the referral number, or fill out our contact form. If you don't get a call back, please try again.
Amazon, we are signed up to receive a percentage of your purchase from Amazon at Amazon Smile.